Log In

FAQs for AYP Host Families

Host - AYP - FAQ - Header

Q: What are the requirements to be an AYP host family?
A: AYP Host families are required to:
• Welcome the student as a part of your family.
• Provide a private bedroom or a shared bedroom with child/youth of the same gender.
• Provide meals for the student.

Q: I don't have children at home. Can I still host?
A: Yes! Our Academic Year Programs welcome host families with or without children.

Q: How old will my student be?
A: AYP students are between the ages of 15-18.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: Students have health insurance and their own spending money. Your main cost would be to provide meals for the student and to pay for any activities that you participate in together as a family.

Q: Will my student speak English?
A: Yes. Students pass a language proficiency exam and are interviewed in English before being accepted to the program. Students' language skills vary, but all have studied english and will have basic English proficiency.

Q: How do We Apply to Host?
A: All host families must complete an application and screening process that includes an application, family and home photos, criminal background checks for everyone over 18, references, an in-home interview, financial disclosure (J-1 visa rules require that host families cannot receive any government subsidies for food or housing), and confirmation that the local high school will accept the student.

Q: Why should I host with States’ 4-H?
A: When you host through States’ 4-H, you partner with one of the largest youth-serving organizations in America. 4-H is built on a model of positive youth development. We see hosting as an educational opportunity not just for the exchange student, but also for the host family, host school, and entire host community. States’ 4-H programs focus on life skill development, including communication, tolerance, respect for others, and engaged citizenship.

Our vast and multi-layered support network means there is always someone available to help if you have a question, problem, or just need advice on how to handle a particular situation. We recognize that opening your home to a teenager from a different country is a big change for most families, and we are here to support you every step of the way!

States 4-H is also designated by the U.S. Department of State as a sponsor of J-1 Visa Secondary School Student Exchange programs and has been granted full listing by the Council for Standards on International Educational Travel since 1997.