Log In

FAQs for Go Abroad - Summer Delegates

2018 OB Gupta JPNrevised
Q: How old do I need to be?
A: All delegates must be between the ages of 12 - 18. Specific age requirements vary by program, so please visit the Outbound Program Pages for more details. You may not be enrolled as a current college student at the time of the exchange but you can participate in a States' 4-H exchange between the time you graduate from high school and begin college.

Q: Do I need to speak the language of my destination country?
A: No prior language study is required, but it certainly is helpful! Our international partners have English-speaking staff on hand to assist you in communication.

Q: How much do the programs cost? What does the program fee include?
A: The program fees includes in-country transportation, lodging, meals, National Departure Orientation, Arrival Orientation, Accident & Sickness Insurance, camp (if offered), and a portion of the adult chaperone fee. The program fees do not include airfare, airline Unaccompanied Minor Fees, travel agent booking fees, and spending money for souvenirs and entertainment. The exact program fee varies by country and by foreign exchange rates. Please contact your State Coordinator for more information for program fee estimates.

Q: What makes States’ 4-H programs different than other youth exchanges?
A: With States’ 4-H Outbound, you will be fully immersed in your host culture. You won’t spend your days on tour buses or sleep in hotels. You will be welcomed as a member of your host family, and you’ll participate in their daily life. It’s possible that you won’t see other Americans very often during the month. Depending on the country you choose, you could be helping your host family with their dairy farm, visiting your host sibling’s school, or joining in international family club activities. You will also be matched with a host sibling of similar age.

Q: I want to be a Chaperone. What are the requirements?
A: Chaperones must be at least 26 years old, have experience chaperoning groups of youth, and be interested in other cultures. We also offer junior chaperone positions. Junior chaperones will assist the lead chaperone. Junior chaperones must be between the ages of 19 and 25 years old. For either chaperone position, please apply through the State Coordinator in your state.

Q: Does States’ 4-H provide scholarships?
A: States' 4-H offers a limited number of Global Citizen Scholarships for the Outbound Program. You must submit a scholarship application to be be considered. Contact your State Coordinator for more details.

Many of our delegates receive scholarships through their local or state 4-H clubs and foundations. They also fundraise through pancake breakfasts, bake sales, online, and many other creative ways. Contact your State Coordinator for ideas.

Q: Do I need to be a 4-H member?
A: You do not need to be a 4-H member to apply for the program, but if you are accepted, you must enroll by the time you depart. Contact your State Coordinator for your state’s requirements.